Last Saturday, Brent and I went to the Temple. Afterwards we went with our friends, Daniel and Andrea Ricks, to 175th Street to eat at El Malecon restaurant. El Malecon serves Dominican food. The restaurant was packed with patrons. It appeared that just about everyone spoke Spanish, and very few (including our server) spoke English. I almost felt like I was back in AZ!
The four of us ordered a whole entorage of deliciousness! We ordered a whole rotisserie chicken, white rice, saffron rice, red beans, black beans, salty plantains, sweet plantains, tres leches cake, and corn pudding. There was so much food. Daniel served his mission in the Dominican Republic, and he says that the food at El Malecon is very authentic. Muy Delicioso!
After engorging ourselves, we crossed the street where there was a small farmer's market. We were so ecstatic to find so many vegetables and fruits being sold for cheap. We purchased a bag of 5 colorful bell peppers for $1. Yes, $1 for 5 peppers! A large pineapple for $2.50, 5 peaches for $1, a bunch of bananas, advacados, and various other wholesome foods. We left with our arms full and less then $10 leaving our pockets. I was so happy I could cry. We will have to go again.
Viva la calle ciento setenta y cinco! Te amo mucho!

3 comments:
Yum! That sounds so good.
Ohh, Dominican food is so good, I'm so jealous!!! Sounds like so much fun!
Farmer's markets are so awesome. I wish there were more of them.
Post a Comment