Friday, March 7, 2008

To Fold, or Not to Fold

Last night, Brent and I went with 3 other couples to help clean the Temple. There are 5 levels of the Manhattan Temple, so we were all assigned to specific floors/jobs. My friend, Megan Parker, and I were assigned to the ground floor. We cleaned two large bathrooms (including showers, and changing stalls), the baptistry, two small bathrooms, the confirmation room, and swiffered the entire ground floor (which was no small feat... pretty much the ENTIRE ground floor is marble).

When Megan and I got to the two small bathrooms, we split up. I did the men's and Megan did the women's bathroom. I finished first and walked accross the hall to see if she needed any help and she was just finishing up. I stood at the door frame for a brief second and then something caught my eye. I exclaimed, "Did you fold the toilet paper?" She giggled and smiled. She had folded the toilet paper like a professional maid. She put my work to shame.

It was a very neat experience to be able to clean the Temple. Despite the enormous amounts of hair on the bathroom floors, I felt priviledged to help keep our relatively sparkling Temple clean.

11 comments:

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I love reading about all the fun things you are doing while in Manhattan! It makes me want to visit there soon. And I can't believe that your time there is going by so fast - do you finish up in May or June? Enjoy your "big city" living while it lasts!
By the way - Dave served his mission in the DR also and would LOVE to eat at El Malecon. He loves Dominican food!

Terin said...

Wow! What a cool experience. How did you get this assignment? I think that is so great. I love you!

Kami said...

That is funny. I'm going to start doing that at home. I'm glad you posted a pic of the temple. I've never seen it before. I went to church once in NYC and it was like an office building. A little different than here!

The Tate's said...

So funny she folded it like a professional! What a neat experience.

Chelsea said...

How fun! Cody just cleaned the Houston one. He said it was true white glove tested! He loved it. The food sounded sooo good from the cheap farmers market! And the DR Place!

Joe and Laura said...

Holly, If you remember Ben Morris (from HS), he used to clean the Mesa Temple, and he could tell you some awesome/crazy stories, not sure that he ever folded the tp, though. But how neat for you guys to take the time do help. That's awesome!

benandchayfuller said...

That is a neat looking temple. I would love to go visit. How fun for you guys!

Chelsea said...

I stole your drew barrymore song. I LOVED that movie!! :)

Anonymous said...

Holly, Where are You?

miller family said...

Holly! It is so good to see what you are up to. I miss you guys. What a cool experience you are having. You should check out our blog candiceandjason.blogspot.com.

Scott and Elly said...

That's so funny! I guess she wanted the temple to look its best! It's fun to find your blog:)