I L-O-V-E this video "Earth Song" by Michael Jackson. It gets me teary-eyed just about every time I watch it. It's a little long, but VERY MUCH worth the time. Please watch all the way through the credits. It tells you about the locations in which the video was shot and the people who participated in the video. It's very touching.
Here are a few tips from www.thegreencommunity.org (and some I thought of that I can work on myself) on how we can help our Earth:
1) Plant a tree.
2) Use a re-usable water bottle, like Nalgene. You could also purchase water bottles that are made of biodegradable materials (e.g. corn based). Did you know that most products made of plastic have a number with a recycle symbol around them? Each number represents how easy/not easy the product is to recycle. Look for 1, 2, 7 and 9. Those are either all recyclable or mostly recyclable.
3) Clean out the lint trap in your clothes dryer after every use. This practice will also increase the life of your dryer, and reduce the cost to dry your clothing.
4) Use rags for mishaps instead of paper towels.
5) Use rechargeable batteries.
6) Call your utility company and ask for a free energy audit.
7) Shorten your shower time by 2 minutes. I learned today that if everyone in the U.S. shorten their shower by 2 minutes, we'd always have enough water to refill the 5 great lakes.
8) Use a recyclable bag (like a cotton bag) for groceries. If you can't do that, find ways to use your plastic bags around the house (e.g. to line your bathroom trash).
9) Get out and walk (or bicycle)! Who couldn't use the exercise anyway?
10) Watch your water usage. Fix that drip in the sink, and turn off the water in between washing dishes. This tip is especially important for Arizonans. Arizona has been in a draught for OVER a decade. Protect that precious resource!
I am going to try much harder this year to be more eco-friendly. Anyone want to join me? If you have additional ideas on how to help our Earth, PLEASE tell!
6 comments:
Thanks for the entry, Holly. I think it's always a good idea to see what we can do to help out. AND, it made me feel pretty good to know that I was already doing many of the things you listed! Did you know that newpaper cleans glass just as well, if not better than paper towels? It's a good way to use what you already have, too!
Hey Holly, I was wondering if Steph had a blog. I can't believe you guys live in New York, so fun!!!
I took Trax today. Go earth.
This was an awesome post. Amen to the cloth or recycled bags for shopping. We use them all the time, and I really do feel like I am doing a small part.
Go green.
Jen
Holly, Great post, loved the video. Thanks for the reminder, I definetely could recycle more, will do better.
Thanks for the tips!! I easily use way too many paper towels through out the day..I for sure could do better. Hope your having a great day!!
Post a Comment